Superman Stats

Tuesday 1 April 2014

How I Met This Sitcom: On HIMYM and Saying Goodbye



How I Met Your Mother

A Fitting Finale(?)

It was Legen...wait for it...

...Dary! 

Legendary.

 http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1697931/thumbs/o-HIMYM-FINALE-facebook.jpg

These words I just typed, I typed before watching the series finale. Why? Because I trust this show to go out with a bang. 

I'll keep these words intact, which doesn't mean I'm not indifferent to the Finale.

The first thing I would like to really write, is that after 9 long seasons the series end for HIMYM will leave a huge gap in my not so fun life. This was the show that encapsulated my growing up (if not the idea of our generation).

But it's just as well only a Sitcom.

And the ending proves it.

Advice for a long running TV show and their writers; don't ever writing an ending to your show in the first episode.

The characters evolved so much during the nine year run that it was hard to watch what happened in the fleeting moments of the second hour of the finale. 

At the same time there's a lesson to be learned from this, you never know where life can take you. The theme of HIMYM for the 'One' was never true but rather the end teaches a very insightful yet heartbreaking lesson 'Life can never be planned, so just enjoy the small moments. Enjoy the journey, and the right if not perfect end will come to you'. That's the lesson Ted has taught his children, and that's the lesson we learned. 

Yet that end had Ted joke about how, his whole story was just a way to get his children to approve of him going after Robin one more time. Kind of sad and disgusting, considering it made his wife seem like another level Ted had to complete to get Robin. 

Still we also need to remember that for Ted he's been telling them the story for a mere hours. 

Then the writers do need to know that we've been watching....aaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

My heads going to explode. This LOVE IT/HATE IT thing is killing me!

So you know what?

I'm not going to talk about the finale.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140327194124-himym-cast-horizontal-gallery.jpg

What I am going to do is do what I planned to do eventually, I am going to put up a top 30/50 list of the best HIMYM episodes. I am currently re watching the whole series and I've reached season 5, so once I'm done; I will make the list, hopefully by then I've cracked the final episode and where my opinion of it lies.

Till then, I'll say just enjoy the show. Even if you think the ending killed it, all it is, is a sitcom. Might I add (for nine seasons with a unique and wafer thin premise) a fun one at that.


'Nuff Said

Aneesh Raikundalia

No comments:

Post a Comment